Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Linen and Lace- the beginnings

Mostly this blog is to get my thoughts, questions, and unusual number of fears and stresses out and on "paper" and to hopefully get encouraging feedback and opinions, horror stories I can learn from, and advice from people who have already walked down this road.

First things first. I'll tell you guys our story.

I chose the theme "linen and lace" because I believe that truly describes Andrew's and my relationship in a way no other inanimate objects can. Like linen, we are simple, no fuss, no bling and pretty old fashioned. But lace, like our relationship is intricate and unique. It is pretty and nice to look at but not for everyone. And that's okay with me!

Andrew and I started out working at Signal Hill Costco together but in different departments so we never actually met.

In 2009, when the Lakewood Costco opened, we both went to work there and met when he transferred inside to the membership department from the food court. Since I worked on the front end as a cashier and he had to come visit the lines to try to sell upgraded memberships, we started seeing more of each other. Not much happened though until a mutual friend had a birthday party in May of 2010. Andrew asked me to go with him and I said no.

Let me explain.

He was in my line as I was ringing up items for my members while he tried to convince me to go out with him. He ended up involving my line in getting my number. Everyone thought he was adorable and made me do it. Needless to say, I'm glad they did. We went to the party, had a blast, and made another "date" for a week later.

Four years later, a few breakups, tears, laughter and makeups later, he decided to make it official and keep me forever his.

He took me to Big Sur, a place I love as my second home, and proposed on a beautiful cliff beach where, a year before, we had run around in the sand climbing rocks and racing the wind.

Full of pretty things to say about me, he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. Of course I said yes yes yes...

Now it's been a few weeks and the excitement, although still extremely present, is a little blurred by the overwhelming stress I suddenly feel for making decisions for 120+ people.

The most popular questions I've gotten so far, to which I only have a nervous smile and a shrug to offer as answer are:

 "What are your colors?"
 "When is the big day?"
 "I'm invited right?"

I do know a few things. My beautiful sisters-in-law will be my bridesmaids along with my life-long bestie as my maid of honor (in a few weeks however, she'll be my matron of honor since she is getting married early May). I know the song that I'm walking down the aisle to, and I know that Andrew is the man that I love in my own, quiet but fiercely loyal way.

So now that you know a little bit about my background, what advice do you have for a very confused and nervous little bride who just wants everyone to be happy?

-9 months till I'm no longer a Mansell,
                     ~ Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment